By: Renee Grant
August is Family Fun Month and with the summer almost over, the last hurrah is here…
If you’re looking for ways to have a grand family finale to your summer 2017, check out these cool events and attractions around the area!
- Spruce Street Harbor Park: For its fourth season on the Philadelphia waterfront, the park has only gotten better! From lounging lazily in hammocks under the summer sun to enjoying fabulous food on a floating restaurant, the riverfront is the place to be! Info here.
- Free Movie Screenings At The Oval on Ben Franklin Parkway: What better way to have fun in the city with the family than taking in a movie under the stars? Every week, you can catch a flick at various locations around the city , with this month’s classics including The Breakfast Club (August 2), Hidden Figures (August 3), Jurassic World (August 4), Jaws (August 10), Beauty and the Beast (August 17), Finding Dory (August 18), and more. More info here.
- Old City Eats: Summer is a great time for good eats, why not head to Old City for some sumptuous bites? Every Thursday through the end of August, you can nosh at more than 25 local restaurants and bars that feature half-priced appetizers and more. For more info, click here.
- Big Bling on Kelly Drive: All the way through November 2017, you can catch an amazing sculptural art exhibit along Kelly Drive. The Association for Public Art’s Big Bling showing from lauded sculptor Martin Puryear is the perfect place for a summer picnic with the kids! Invite us, we love chicken salad!
- ACANA Fest: On August 6th, the African Cultural Alliance of North America Inc. (ACANA), will bring an outdoor cultural festival to Penn’s Landing. Dance troupes, African food, and more will fill the space as you take a virtual trip to another continent via the Delaware River. For more info, click here.